(FinancialHealth.net) – The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is warning consumers of a new threat that’s impacting millions: e-skimming. This latest scheme to steal people’s financial and personal information happens during online shopping.
Cybercriminals are obtaining the information by breaking into website servers. They either infect a server that services many companies with a virus to steal information, or they break into one website at a time. Once they have what they want, they sell it on the dark web.
According to reports, it’s impossible for customers to see the breach when they pay:
Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Avoid using your debit card to shop online.
- Monitor your credit card activity.
- Use credit cards, gift cards, Apple Pay or PayPal whenever possible.
- Ask your bank if they offer virtual credit cards.
- Never save credit card information on websites.
- Install anti-virus software onto your computer.
Thieves switch up their methods all the time, so you may not be able to protect yourself in every case. If you notice suspicious activity on your credit card or bank statements, call your financial institution right away. The best way to protect yourself is to stay vigilant.
~Here’s to Your Financial Health!
Copyright 2020, FinancialHealth.net