There are countless stimulus opportunities available across a number of different states in the U.S. Sadly, many people don’t even realize that these options exist, even if they are a resident in the states that are providing support! That is why you will want to see if your state is providing any support for their residents. We want to remind you that some of the stimulus may have been provided while others will continue into late 2022. It just depends on the state and opportunity. That is why to get the best up to date information you will want to check with your state government!
Understanding Which States are Giving Their Residents Stimulus Relief?
We know we may sound like a broken record but you want to make sure you stay up to date with what’s going on in your state’s government! There could be opportunities not mentioned on this list. So to ensure you know relevant information for what’s going on with your state, you’ll need to get it straight from the source! Now that we got that out of the way, let’s take a look at some states that are giving their residents stimulus support:
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
Residents in Colorado will have the opportunity to get some stimulus relief through a rebate check. However, the specific amount of this rebate check may not be what they are saying. As of now the rebate checks will be either $400 for single filers or $800 for joint filers. There is an opportunity for these amounts to be even more! That’s because if the state makes more revenue than they expect then the rebate checks will be even bigger than expected. If Colorado residents want to benefit from this opportunity they would need to apply for the PTC rebate or file their taxes by June 30th, 2022. Those that are able to qualify can expect to see the funds by August 2022 (or September 2022).
The 2022 Delaware Relief Rebate program is a great stimulus option that can help qualifying residents. This opportunity can give residents that are eligible a direct one-time payment that’s worth $300. Checks started going out to residents back in May 2022. However, qualifying residents can still expect to see these payments made during the Summer. One of the best parts about this stimulus opportunity is the fact that eligible residents won’t need to take any extra steps to get their payment!
When residents in Georgia filed their 2020 tax return and 2021 tax return they likely didn’t realize that this would help them qualify for a stimulus rebate payment down the line. Georgia residents may be able to get:
- $500 if they are a married couple filing jointly
- $375 if they are a head of household filer
- $250 if they are a single filer
- $250 if they are a married couple filing separately
Those that were able to file their taxes by April 18th 2022 can expect their payments to be provided by August 2022. However, those that filed an extension will likely have a different time frame. For more information, you will want to reach out to the Georgia Department of Revenue.
Hawaii can be known for more than just their beautiful scenery! That’s because this state not only created a stimulus opportunity for its residents but it took some impressive measures by updating their minimum wage! But first, let’s take a look at the stimulus opportunity available. Hawaii residents can get a stimulus in the form of a tax rebate worth:
- $100 if they make more than $100,000 every year
- $300 if they make less than $100,000 every year
The exact timeframe that residents can expect to get these payments has not been confirmed yet. However, the Department of Taxation in Hawaii anticipates that the payments will be provided during the last week of August.
Other than the stimulus tax rebate opportunity listed above, Hawaii made the decision to increase their minimum wage every 2 years starting on October 1st, 2022. Once October 1st, 2022 rolls around, minimum wage will rise to $12 an hour. The following years will have minimum wage increases:
- 2024: Starting January 1st, 2024 minimum wage will rise to $14 an hour
- 2026: Starting January 1st, 2026 minimum wage will rise to $16 an hour
- 2028: Starting January 1st, 2028 minimum wage will rise to $18 an hour
Idaho residents can get a stimulus in the form of a rebate. The amount of the rebate will be the greater option out of the following:
- 12% of the reported tax amount that was on the tax filer’s Form 40
- 12% of the reported tax amount that was on the tax filer’s Form 43, if they were an eligible service member
- $75 per taxpayer and each dependent of the taxpayer
Those that are able to qualify will get the funds either through direct deposit or in a paper check. If a resident wants to qualify they must:
- Have filed an Idaho individual tax income return (or Form 24) for 2021 and 2020
- Have been a full-year resident for 2021 and 2020
Eligible residents that live in Illinois can receive a stimulus check for up to $400. The exact amount that residents will be able to get depends on how many dependents they have and their tax filing status. The range of payments include:
- $50 for single tax filers that did not make more than $200,000 in 2021
- $100 for couples that are filing jointly that did not make more than $400,000 in 2021
- $100 for up to 3 dependents that are claimed by the filer on their 2021 taxes
The state will certify the list of taxpayers that could be eligible for payments after July 5th, 2022. While the tax filing deadline passed on April 18th, those that filed an extension still have time. That’s because they have until October 17th, 2022. The checks should be expected to be given sometime during the second half of the year.
The Indiana “Use of Excess Reserves” law is a helpful stimulus opportunity that can provide relief to residents in the state. As long as residents meet eligibility criteria, they will qualify to get a one-time tax refund worth up to $250. Residents can find that they are automatically eligible if they filed their Indiana resident tax return for 2020 with either a Form SC-40, Form IT-40, or Form IT-40PNR by January 3rd, 2022.
The residents that qualify for this stimulus can expect to get the tax refund in the form of either a paper check or direct deposit. While payments began going out in May 2022, they will continue into the late summer. If you think you should get a payment you should wait until at least September 1st, 2022. If by that time you don’t receive anything then you will need to get additional information from the Indiana Department of Revenue on next steps!
Residents in Maine have the chance to get a stimulus for up to $1,700 in the form of a tax return. Qualifying residents include those that:
- Have a Federal adjusted gross income (FAGI) that qualifies
- Are not a dependent
- Filed their taxes for 2021 by October 31st, 2022
Even though the first round of checks were provided in June 2022, the payments will be provided until the end of the year. The payments will depend on the tax returns that come in!
New Mexico is a state that actually has multiple stimulus opportunities for their residents. In fact, they have at least 3! Three of the opportunities come as either a tax rebate or an economic relief payment. These options include:
- Providing relief payments worth up to $1,000 to eligible residents that did not file an income tax return. The payments will be given on a first come, first serve basis. That means it is important to submit an application! Residents can submit an application through yes.state.nm.us. However the application window is not available forever. Qualifying recipients can expect to receive their payment by July 3rd, 2022.
- Giving a refundable tax credit worth up to $1,000 to residents that are eligible as long as they filed a 2021 personal income tax return. The funds will come in parts in June 2022 and August 2022.
- Providing a refundable tax credit worth up to $500 to taxpayers that qualify who meet income qualifications. Residents that qualify should expect this credit to be provided by July 2022.
Not everyone faced the same issues during the pandemic. That is why Minnesota wants to focus on providing stimulus to their residents that likely had a tougher time. The support option they have is available through Frontline Worker Pay. However, an application will need to be submitted in order to qualify. Luckily, the application window is open until July 22nd, 2022. For a better understanding of the specific eligibility requirements, residents should check out the Frontline Worker Pay law. Some eligibility criteria includes:
- Did not receive an unemployment insurance (UI) benefit for over 20 weeks on a cumulative schedule for a specific time frame.
- Had an eligible income for at least 12 months during a specific timeframe
- Were employed at least 120 hours in the state of Minnesota in an eligible sector for a specific timeframe
When people think of South Carolina they likely think of some delicious BBQ. However, that doesn’t need to be the only thing they’re known for. That’s because South Carolina is also a state that provides their residents with stimulus support. Residents that are eligible may be able to receive a tax refund worth up to $800. Qualifying residents can expect their tax refund to be sent during November or December. It’s important to note that not every resident will qualify! For example, those that did not pay income taxes won’t be eligible.
Qualifying residents in Virginia have the chance to get a rebate worth up to $500. However, they will need to ensure that their taxes are filed by November 1st, 2022. Individuals that are eligible and were able to file their taxes before July 1st can expect to get their funds in either September 2022 or October 2022. Residents that are eligible can expect them to come in the form of either a direct deposit or paper check.
What if Your State Isn’t on the List?
It can be disheartening if you don’t see your state on the list we mentioned. However, there is still hope! That’s because the list could grow thanks to the American Rescue Plan. The American Rescue Plan gave states funds to use to help themselves. However, the funds aren’t available to use whenever. In fact, states actually have to get a plan together for the funds by 2024. They then have until 2026 to spend the funds. Luckily, that means there are still opportunities for states to create stimulus options for their residents!
Sadly, a lot of people don’t realize just how many states are giving stimulus relief to their residents. States that are doing this includes:
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
Even if your state isn’t on the list above that’s okay! States still may create stimulus support for their residents. The only way to be sure is by keeping up with what’s going on in your state’s government. That is the true way to get the most up-to-date, and relevant information!